About David Pinkley, our Founder and CEO
When David Pinkley was laid-off from his first job in 1996, he vowed he would never be unemployed again. Since then he has built a career on helping others build theirs. David is a professional speaker and disrupter of conventional wisdom about careers, recruiting, hiring and leading.
David Pinkley founded The Career Sage to give people the confidence and permission to go get what they want in their careers and in life. He has:
- Survived 18 years (and two recessions) as an executive recruiter
- Reviewed over 40,000 resumes
- Interviewed over 3,000 people
- Negotiated millions in compensation
- Placed three women into new jobs during their 3rd trimester of pregnancy!
- Auditioned for the Oprah Winfrey Network (OWN)
- Been quoted in The USA Today and featured on NBC National Nightly News
David draws from diverse career and life experiences. Originally from Michigan, he has lived and worked in New York, Chicago, Hong Kong, Raleigh and Charlotte, NC. He has also:
- Traveled in 40 states and visited 23 countries
- High-fived Elton John during a live concert
- Been the only non-African American member of a historic black Baptist Church in Chicago
David earned a Bachelor of Science from the University of Michigan and started his career as a CPA at Ernst & Young and Bank of America. He has lived and worked in Charlotte, Raleigh, Chicago, New York and Hong Kong.
He enjoys playing guitar, reading historical-based fiction, listening to live music, playing golf and spending time with his kids.